Every business owner wants an affordable website design that not only looks amazing but allows them to publish fresh content for their audience, be it a new page, blog posts, or news articles. What that means is they need a Content Management System (CMS).
Therefore, I always recommend WordPress as the backbone of most websites. And for the purposes of this blog post, I will be considering WordPress as the CMS of choice.
Please note: I am not referring to WordPress.com, where you can get your website hosted for free.
To be clear, the reasons I’m passionate about WordPress are: it’s free, it’s constantly being improved, and it has a huge community for usability support and new plugins and tools.
So, whether you have a website that needs a design refresh, or you’re after a brand-new website design, here you’ll learn 3 ways you can get an affordable website design:
1) Use a website builder.
- Most of the website builders are free, or very inexpensive.
- Drag-and-drop interfaces are somewhat easy to use.
- Website builders can be very time consuming, so the value you attribute to your time may offset amount of money you save in the end.
- It may be challenging to create a professional-looking website, but it should suffice if you need to get an online presence “fast”.
- If you use the free versions, you won’t be able to use your own website URL (upgrading to premium versions will give you more options).
- Careful with the Flash-based builders. Research if they could potentially have search engine issues (e.g. being crawled by Google bots).
2) Buy a Premium WordPress theme and customize it.
- You can get great looking website themes with lots of functionality included, ready and easy to use.
- Premium themes have very low costs, so you can invest extra money in the theme customization, or even in other marketing tactics (refreshing your logo or business cards).
- Depending on the quality of the code of that theme or on the changes you want to make to that theme, you will still need some professional help from a web designer/developer.
- Beware of competitors using the same theme, you want to stand out and be unique.
I usually check the themes at Theme Forest for high-quality, affordable themes.
3) Hire a freelance web designer or an affordable web design company to get a custom website design.
- Your custom website will be designed specially for your company and be aligned to your brand, giving you credibility and showing professionalism.
- Your custom website will include all of the functionality you need (and exclude what you don’t) making it easy to use.
- It will be straightforward to make design changes and additions to your website in the future, since it has more flexibility than a Premium theme.
- The costs for building a custom website will vary from one web designer to another, so you need to request a quote to find out how much you will spend on a custom design. However, because you’re dealing with a human being, payment plans and service packages will be available.
I hope this sheds some light into the possibilities for your next website design.
I’d love to hear your feedback and ideas, and your preferred choice for getting an affordable website.
If you have any questions, I’d be happy to help! Otherwise, good luck out there!
Stela Creative's Design & Marketing Blog
This blog offers marketing, advertising and design best-practices for small business owners and entrepreneurs looking to be more effective and successful with their businesses, online and offline.
Prefer to use your RSS reader?
Get the RSS feed here.
- Google Analytics
- Google Webmaster Tools
- graphic design
- meta description
- responsive web design
- Sitemap XML
- web design